CMA CGM: a global leader in container shipping
Founded in Marseille in 1978 by Jacques Saadé, CMA CGM is the third-largest container shipping company worldwide and number 1 in France. This year the CMA CGM Group is celebrating its 35th anniversary.
CMA CGM: a world leader and a major economic player
The CMA CGM Group is the world’s third-largest maritime container shipping company and number one in France. From its base in Marseille, CMA CGM is present in more than 150 countries through its network of over 650 agencies, with more than 18,000 employees worldwide (4,700 in France).
With a young and diversified fleet of 414 vessels (84 company owned), the CMA CGM Group serves 400 of the world's 521 commercial ports. Through its 170 shipping lines the company operates on every one of the world's seas. Its global presence and powerful ships like the CMA CGM JULES VERNE enable the CMA CGM Group to transport a volume of 10.6 million TEUs (Twenty Foot Equivalent Unit) each year.
The CMA CGM Group posted revenues of US$ 15.9 billion in 2012 (a 7% increase), proving that "family business" companies are efficient and make it possible for French industry to rise to the upper echelons of world trade.
There are 2,400 staff members working at the Group's head office, the CMA CGM Tower in Marseille. It is a building worthy of a major player in the French economy. The Group has 6,300 French customers and CMA CGM is the largest private employer in Marseille, the city where the company was founded in 1978.
2012 Key figures
15.9billionRevenue in USD
10.6millionVolume transported in TEUs
414Vessel fleet84 owned by the company
1.446MFleet's slot capacity in TEUs
400Ports of call in 150 countries
CMA CGM: subsidiaries with targeted expertise for personalised service
The CMA CGM Group operates all over the world and on every sea. In order to offer personalised service, the company owns a portfolio of brands that complement one another and offer strong regional expertise:
- Delmas, to and from Africa;
- ANL, in Oceania;
- CNC, in the Intra-Asia market;
- US Lines, in Oceania and North America's West Coast;
- MacAndrews, in Europe;
- Comanav, in North Africa.
Other CMA CGM activities & subsidiaries are:
- CMA Ships, for vessel fleet and crew management (upkeep, provisioning, construction projects, etc.);
- CMA Terminals & Terminal Link, for terminal construction, acquisition, and operation around the world;
- CMA CGM Logistics, for integrated global logistical solutions;
- intermodal transport solutions around the world, and Greenmodal Transport, in France.
CMA CGM: environmental concerns at the heart of the Group's strategy
The sustainable development policy, launched several years ago by Jacques Saadé, is central to the CMA CGM Group's decision-making. CMA CGM has reduced its CO2 emissions by 36% since 2005 (projection: 50% by 2015).
There are many reasons for this environmental efficiency:
- ships with the latest technologies for ensuring safety and protecting the environment ;
- pioneering investment in eco-containers since 2005 ;
- creation of Greenmodal Transport in 2012, the first three-mode French shipping operator combining rail, river, and road transport, all while guaranteeing the lowest environmental impact at the lowest cost ;
- a voluntary commitment to pursuing ISO 14001 certification for the management of the Group's ships (objective: end of 2013) ;
- and much more…
The CMA CGM Group is also furthering its corporate responsibility through the CMA CGM Corporate Foundation, founded by Mrs Naïla Saadé, which has been serving children since 2005.
The Group is nominated in three categories for the International Freighting Weekly (IFW) Awards 2013October 23th, 2013
On the occasion of the IFW Awards 2013, the Group has been nominated in the following categories:
- Container Liner of the Year (the prize of which is recognized throughout the industry as a mark of excellence), in recognition of the Group’s capacity for innovation and flexibility in meeting the needs of every one of its customers, and determination to always deliver an impeccable service;
- Customer Care, for its ability to provide a bespoke service combined with the flexibility and responsiveness of its teams all over the world;
- Environment, for actions taken to reduce the impact of its business, and develop new solutions and sustainable technologies.