CMA CGM Group expands its presence in the United States by creating more than 400 new jobs in Virginia
- CMA CGM confirms Virginia as the center of its U.S. operations
- ZEBOX, an international startup incubator and accelerator, will be established in Arlington, VA
- CMA CGM is committed to the U.S. Economy with more than 12,000 employees nationwide
The CMA CGM Group, a world leader in shipping and logistics, has decided to grow its presence in Virginia, where its U.S. headquarters is located, creating more than 400 new jobs. The announcement was made today by Governor Ralph Northam and Ed Aldridge, President of CMA CGM America and APL North America.
This decision reaffirms the Group’s strong partnership with the Commonwealth of Virginia and its commitment to the U.S. Economy.
CMA CGM chooses Virginia as the center of its U.S. operations
The Group will invest a projected $36 million to expand operations in Hampton Roads, reinforce its headquarters in Norfolk, and establish in Arlington County the American hub of ZEBOX, a startup incubator and accelerator initiated by Rodolphe Saadé, Chairman and CEO of the CMA CGM Group.
ZEBOX, an innovation hub to support startups in the development of new technologies
Together with key partners, ZEBOX will accompany innovative startups in the development of disrupt for transportation, logistics, mobilities, and industry 4.0. Virginia was selected following a competitive site-selection search that included competing markets in other states. It will become an essential place where entrepreneurs from all over the world meet and work on building tomorrow’s innovations.
CMA CGM, more than ever committed to the U.S. economy
The Group first began its U.S. operations in 1997 and decided to open its U.S. headquarters in Norfolk in 2005. Today, CMA CGM continues to show its commitment to the U.S. economy and its American customers with:
- More than 12,000 staff members across the United States
- 19 U.S. ports served
- 34 services between the United States and the rest of the world
- 93 weekly port calls
- CEVA Logistics, a world reference in third-party logistics, which provides and operates transportation and supply-chain solutions for large or medium size national and multinational companies. CEVA Logistics offers a broad range of services in both Contract Logistics and Freight Management, operating from over 117 locations in the U.S. CEVA Logistics’ experienced specialists focus on seamlessly designing end-to-end customized solutions to meet the complex and rapidly evolving supply chain needs whatever the business sector.
- Its subsidiary American President Lines, LLC (APL), which has been a trusted partner to the U.S. Government for ocean transportation and in-country logistics since WWI. APL provides container transportation and offers secure and efficient services to key foreign military locations including five weekly U.S. Flag services linking North America to Asia and Europe.
Rodolphe Saadé, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the CMA CGM Group, said: “Today’s announcement marks the opening of a new chapter in the long-lasting history of the CMA CGM Group with the United States and Virginia. The strong, trustful ties that bind us to the Commonwealth of Virginia will be further reinforced with the creation of 400 new jobs and strategic investments. Such a partnership is a great opportunity for our Group and our American customers. Furthermore, given the success of our startup incubator and accelerator ZEBOX in France, we’re thrilled to launch ZEBOX America in Arlington County. This is an exciting challenge to enable the development of innovative, game-changing projects and technologies.”
Governor Northam declared: “This project is a tremendous victory for Virginia that will add significant momentum to our economic recovery as we emerge from this pandemic. Hampton Roads has a well-deserved reputation as a maritime services hub and our renowned tech workforce in Northern Virginia continues to attract leading companies. Securing CMA CGM’s expansion sends a powerful message that The Port of Virginia stands among the world’s greatest and our Commonwealth is prepared to keep adapting to the demands of our global economy.”
Ed Aldridge, President of CMA CGM America and APL North America, said, “The CMA CGM Group is pleased to choose the Commonwealth of Virginia to expand our operations and create 400 jobs. Committed to the U.S. economy, we have a long history in Virginia that began in 2002 when we opened our first office in Virginia Beach. We later increased our presence and moved into our Norfolk headquarters in 2005. We are very pleased to expand our roots again and continue working with the Port of Virginia. Together we provide great maritime services to customers both in Virginia and around the world in addition to offering reliable inland transport to America’s heartland utilizing the port’s excellent rail network.”
About CMA CGM
Led by Rodolphe Saadé, the CMA CGM Group is a world leader in shipping and logistics. Its 538 vessels serve more than 420 ports around the world, on five continents. In 2019, they transported nearly 22 million TEU (twenty-foot equivalent units) containers. With CEVA Logistics, a world leader in logistics services, CMA CGM handles more than 500,000 tons of airfreight and 1.9 million tons of inland freight every year. CMA CGM is constantly innovating to offer customers new maritime, inland and logistics solutions. Present on every continent and in 160 countries through its network of 755 offices and 750 warehouses, the Group employs more than 110,000 people worldwide, of which 2,400 in Marseille where its head office is located.
Office of the Governor
Virginia Economic Development Partnership